Diapers.com
Excludes existing customers of Diapers.com, AfterSchool.com, YoYo.com or other Quidsi sites. Restrictions apply.
use code: MISH1084
Buy Baby Items at Diapers.com
Home Essentials

Thursday, January 3, 2013

What Is Life Like Raising A Autistic Child?

People often ask me what is it like to be the mother of an autistic child and often times it takes a lot not to just laugh. They find it weird that I am quick to say it is like raising any other child except I have more people involved in our lives.  With Jonathan, I have a team of about thirty other people that are involved in his health, education and any other major factors of his life.  

We work as a well-oiled machine between his pediatric physician, a team of specialize doctors, three private therapist, a team of ABA therapist, and me acting as his advocate we are a great team. That usually makes some of them give me a weird look wondering how I keep it all in line as well as control of my life. The answer is easy it is all about time management, being able to say no, making sacrifices knowing what you have on your plate, and knowing what you want out of life for both parties. When I finally got my mind focused on those things, I made quite a few changes that changed my life.  From cutting work, hours to be able to adjust for all of Jonathan's appointments to making sure that everyone who needed to be involved in his life had the time that they needed to do their part.  I had to cut back on some luxuries that I enjoyed for life to balance correctly. The biggest challenge is not to let the situation take over your life and get you upset with circumstances. 


The greatest thing I have learned since becoming Jonathan's mom is simply to live a fun fulfilling life.  When things do happen you have to be able to respond to them quickly without reacting without thinking this eliminates what if mode. Those thoughts will drive you crazy. Now many of you may think oh I feel sorry for her the sacrifices she make have to be great but instead I ask that before you pity me you simply root for us to overcome all obstacles that come our way.

So out of all of this my life lesson is simple: LIVE LOVE LAUGH... life is full of fun moments and you have to accept those fun moments as they come but be prepared for those rough moments as well.



A quote that we live by:
"Remember life is a precious gift, love is a wonderful gift, and laughter is a glorious gift.So live life to the fullest, love with all your heart, and laugh as much as you breathe."



~Truly Blessed,





Misherald "Missy" & Jonathan "JB" Brown



Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight. 
Proverbs 3:5-6 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.
~Missy